LOVE YOURSELF - LOVE YOUR NATURAL HAIR - LOVE YOUR STYLE

Friday, May 28, 2010

Healthy Living - Low-Calorie Summer Drinks


Summertime is here and let me tell you, I love a good Margarita or Mojito on a regular!
Unfortunately, they don’t like my waistline!
Since I am not going to stop drinking them, I decided to look for ways to make low calorie versions so I can keep my small waistline but still enjoy my summer favorites.
I found these tips at Shape.com and I want to share them with those of you who indulge as I do.
These low calorie alcoholic drinks will let you indulge without ruining your waistline.


Frozen Strawberry Margarita

What's in there: 564 calories, 16 g sugar in 12 oz.

Just because there's fruit in the name of this one doesn't mean it's good for you. Most restaurant or club versions are made with sugary syrup that can be detrimental to your waistline. I read that just one of these slush delights has more calories than two bags of Skittles.

Make it healthier: Order a plain margarita (oh no!) on the rocks to save up to 300 calories. Also ask for one with no salt! That dusted rim may provide more than 2,000 milligrams of sodium, which is nearly your entire daily allowance. Want to mix up a batch at home? Skip the sugary mix and use fresh lime juice instead. If you are like me and you love strawberry margaritas, skip the restaurant versions and whip up some at home by making it with plain margarita mix, but add fresh strawberries and whip cream. Blend them together in a blender with ice and enjoy. So delicious!

Mojito

What's in there: 242 calories, 25 g sugar in 8 oz.

This Cuban cocktail (a blend of rum, sugar, mint leaves, lime juice, and club soda) can harm your waistline and sap your energy, since sweet drinks may up your risk of having a hangover.
Make it healthier: Ask the bartender to cut back on the sugar by a third and add a few extra splashes of club soda to lower the calorie count.
At home, swap the sweetener for a low- or no-cal one, like stevia or use raw sugar. (I am not a big fan of artificial sweeteners, so I would use raw sugar instead)
Why not try one this weekend during your Memorial Day celebration - I sure will!
Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment