LOVE YOURSELF - LOVE YOUR NATURAL HAIR - LOVE YOUR STYLE

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Let's Talk........

Well, I have ended my lovely 2 week vacation and I am back at work. I must say, I actually missed my job while I was off, but it is nice to have some me time with no agenda.
I want to touch on a serious subject for a moment.
I have always thought of myself as a positive sista who has nothing but love for everyone. I feel the need to make sure that everyone understands some things about this site:
  1. This site is here to entertain and provide information that I feel would be helpful to the person who sports natural hair or is on the way to natural, likes fashion, who has a talent they would like for me to showcase, has an issue they want advice on, or someone who just wants to read some good stuff.
  2. This site is in no way a site that promotes negativity.
  3. This site is for fun!

With that being said, I also want to touch on the way to be truly on your game.

Being a diva does not mean breaking the bank to look good. Being a diva means having yourself together. One reader commented on my shoe showcase and I must say, I really enjoyed their comment. It got me to thinking about how many sistas are out there breaking themselves to look good and clearing out their wallets in the name of fashion. This used to be me until I got older and much wiser. Don't get me wrong, I will drop some cash on an item I really want, but now I am conscious of how I spend my money and how I save my money. But what is wrong with that? So many people put a bad rap on materialism when it is really a matter of personal taste. I feel a woman should always look good, feel good, and be good. You should always feel good about yourself an do things that please YOU. I am a firm believer in God and I believe he put us all on earth to live life to the fullest. If you walk around saying you are doing O.K., then you will only do O.K. You have to put positivity out into the universe and it will come back to you. It does not cost to look good or feel good, but if a person has expensive taste, then so be it. That may be that person's way of living life. We just have to be careful how we spend our money and make sure we take care of business first.

So with that being said, I have to make sure I keep my site as positive as possible and breakdown a little knowledge.

How to be a (Real) Diva:

  1. Make sure you are putting away money period. Pay yourself first! A good thing to do would be to have a certain amount of money directly taken out of your paycheck every pay period and put into a savings or moderate money market account. With the economy the way it is, I would stay away from aggressive funds.
  2. Make sure you are contributing to your 401(k). I would say contribute the maximum, but once again, the downed stock market has messed that up. At least try to put in enough to receive your company matching program but if you can put in the maximum an you are close to retirement, then go for it.
  3. Pay your bills on time always and don't max out credit cards! I started a rule last year that I would only use credit for extreme emergencies. If you can do this, it is always better because once you buy the item with cash, there are no surprises coming in the mailbox. Also, you are more apt to really think about how much you spend when you use cash. With a credit card, you have too much wiggle room to get you in over your head.
  4. Keep your credit score high! This is very important because with a high credit score, you can always have what you want! This is especially helpful when buying a home or car. The way to do this is to follow #3 always.
  5. Tithe! This is a personal choice, but one I believe in.
  6. Give back! Give to those in need either monetary or time. Give away gently used clothing or volunteer at a soup kitchen or hospital. My rule is for every item I buy new, I give away an item. Not only does it make someone else smile, but it helps to clean out my closet and keep it neat. I love fashion but I am also a neat freak!
  7. Make sure you make your house a home and you have reliable transportation! This is very important because you will save money if you enjoy being at home (you won't go out as much) and if you don't buy a reliable car, you will always spend money trying to keep it running. Not a good look!
  8. Be conscious of how much you spend on items, but don't buy too cheap. If you can, invest in one good item instead of ten poorly constructed items. The one good item will last much longer and look better with time. Also, after you have bought the ten items, you have probably spent more than you would on the one good item, but you don't have the ten items anymore because they did not last. This usually applies to shoes, purses, and furniture. Always invest in a good, well-fitted suit and proper fitting bras!
  9. Smile! Pretty self explanatory.
  10. Finally, Do You! Take care of yourself inside and out! Be conscious of what you eat and keep up a workout routine. Take time for yourself and love and let love into your life!

A friend once told me the reason they make sure they always have money in the bank, a high credit score and all their bills paid is because they do not want any stress. This made a lot of sense to me. It is much better to live life stress free and if you can make sure to clear out the the things you have control over, then all the better.

I am 41 years old and these are things I live by! My motto is you only have one life to live and unfortunately, there are no do-overs. So now is the time to be the best you can be with what you have. And if you aspire to have more, then get creative and go get it! You can have what you want if you put God first and work hard. Never settle and live your lives to the fullest!

These are the attributes of a true diva!

I hope I can be of help to someone and I hope we all continue to have fun chatting!

Happy Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment